SABA Freiburg Telecommander G need help

SABA Freiburg Telecommander G need help

I bought my first SABA Telecommander and here I am to bore you with some questions.
      Let's start from the front:

- the "Still" button ..... what is it for?
      - the "Monitor" button ....... what's the use? If I remember correctly the Receiver Grundig was an OUT. Instead on the SABA receivers?
      - those that look like 3 green bulbs under the tone and volume controls what are they for?

The back:

- the 2 "Pegel" what are they for?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
      vielen Dank für alles!

SABA Freiburg Vollautomatich Studio 12, SABA Freiburg Telecommander G, SABA Freudenstadt 14 Stereo, SABA Villingen 100
      Grundig Stereomeister 3000, Grundig Cn-1000, Grundig Hf-10+Nf-20, Grundig 5490
      Graetz Melodia 519
      Nordmende Chassis 4/675 stereo
      Philips 1002

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „robertor“ ()

Hello robertor,

Still button = MUTING the noise between stations in FM.
      In case of weak stations / low signal strength you must switch it off, otherwise it will also mute weak signals.

3 bulbs under bass, treble, volume: I guess they indicate reception of the signal from the remote control, when the respective button on the remote control is pushed.

"Pegel" (level control) on the back...don't know, I never saw the back of this unit. Someone else help, please!

Best Regards
      Reinhard
      Hello robertor.

The bulbs below the controls will light up when the corresponding control is adjusted by the supersonic remote control. still = Muting on FM, see Reinhard's post.
      Monitor button and jack on rear is for tape monitoring, will say tape reproduction with 3-Head-Tape Decks.
      With the PEGEL-Controls (Pegel is German für Level), the Input sensitivity of the Phono Input resp. the Monitor Input ca be adjusted to achieve same sound level on all sources.
      Btw. The correct name of your set is "SABA Freiburg Telecommander G" (not G 69), made in 1971-72.
      To this set the "telecommander 50" remote control was included. It allows to swith off/on, select FM-Preset buttons and control Vol/Treble/Bass. All functions are driven by motors.

Regards Stefan
      THANKS a lot to everyone for the explanations and help.

I wish everyone a good weekend.

Rob
      vielen Dank für alles!

SABA Freiburg Vollautomatich Studio 12, SABA Freiburg Telecommander G, SABA Freudenstadt 14 Stereo, SABA Villingen 100
      Graetz Melodia 519
      Philips 1002

Finally my Freiburg G, dopo circa 2 anni, funziona.
      Stereo decoder replaced (prototype in photo).

vielen Dank für alles!

Graetz Melodia 519
      Philips 1002

Hey robertor,
      looks beautiful, congrats!
      What happened to the 3 lamps? They look black instead of orange (or is black the new orange hah)? And why the replaced decoder? Didn't you get the original one working?

However, have much pleasure with the Freiburg.! I have one in my sleeping room, listening to it every night and controling it from bed with the remote control.
      It is called Freiburg telecommander G, not G 69. And the Freundenstadt is Freudenstadt, without the n. These horrible german words, must be awful for a non-German. :) All these names are names of cities in the Black Forest in South Germany. Search Freiburg, Freudenstadt, Villingen and all the others on google maps! Villingen was the city the SABA company and works was located.

Best regards Stefan
      thank you very much Klarzeichner for the tips on the German language and for the compliments.
      on my Freiburg TC G the "bulbs" are green.
      from a distance the color is not perceived so they "seem black".
      I had to replace the stereo decoder as the radio was not working, it was absolutely silent.

unfortunately I don't have the remote control.

vielen Dank für alles!

Graetz Melodia 519
      Philips 1002

That's interesting, because normally only the "H"-model (one year later) is known with the green lights. But yours is an "G", it has the mechanical station memory unit.

The remote control is named "telecommander 50" Maybe this helps you in finding one. It makes much fun, because all functions are motor-driven with beautiful rrrrrrrrr-noises when operated.

BR Stefan
      @ alpinab10biturbo: s/n G95283.

​The remote control is named "telecommander 50" Maybe this helps you in finding one

thanks!
      vielen Dank für alles!

Graetz Melodia 519
      Philips 1002

Now I would like to switch to the replacement of 10 electrolytic capacitors that affect the Phono area.
      I also think the 2.2uf on the Phono area output can be replaced with a polypropylene capacitor.

Suggestions or ideas about it?
      Thanks in advance.
      vielen Dank für alles!

Graetz Melodia 519
      Philips 1002

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „robertor“ ()

Thanks Robertor, There are several threads on the native German part of this forum that describe (partial) refurbishment or life-cycle extension of these type receivers. Experts have differing opinions, which can generally be distinguished in three streams.
      1. Corrective replacement only – Only the parts that have developed a defect are or measure outside their electrical ratings are replaced by new part(s) with similar electrical specifications.
      2. Preventive replacement - All parts with a limited operational life are replaced by a new parts with similar electrical specifications.
      3. Resto mod – All parts with a limited operational life are replaced by a new parts with similar or improved electrical / audible specifications.
      From a historical perspective, those who prefer originality are in favour of the first option, however this doesn’t improve the reliability because after decades of service It is hard to tell when parts with a limited shelf life will fail. That leaves the second or third option. With your polypropylene suggestion, you seem to follow the third route. Whether this makes sense is open to debate between many forum members because this is subject to personal interpretation.

Personally I believe that translating user requirements in technical requirements (i.e. bandwidth, power output, distortion) alone will not necessarily result in the best audible result. Some niche companies have made this a science by defining user criteria like timbre, transparency, spaciousness etc. and empirically adjust parts to achieve the best audible result. However this requires an additional phase in the development process which is time consuming and expensive and does will affect time to market, hence why most development companies in the market (have) omit(ed) this step and rely on tangible requirements for their Quality Management Systems alone. A good example of a company with a clear vision of optimising the listener experience is the Japanese Spec Corporation ( spec-corp.co.jp/e/ ).

Personally, I also believe that the quality of parts can improve the (subjective) listener experience. That is the reason why I have ensured that all capacitors of 10uF and below are replaced with foil capacitors. Although polypropylene is an excellent material, capacitors of this type are generally large and won’t fit in the sometimes small and contained space of said PCBA, incl. the Phono Module.

Another excellent candidate is the Wima MKS2 range which has a pitch of 5mm and will fit in most positions without modifications. Attached you find a picture of the Phono module of one of my Freiburg’s (H model). I replaced the six coupling caps with Wima MKS2 or Nichicon Muse UES series (>10uF). Additionally, the bulk capacitors have been replaced with Elna Silmic II.

Bilder
      • P1180882.jpg

170,79 kB, 958×768, 10 mal angesehen
      Raymond

Carpe Diem

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „alpinab10biturbo“ ()

The board on photo is the Phono board of the Freiburg Telecommander?
      The "greens" look like bipolar (maybe it's Nichicon) and are probably a great solution for the size in a Phono board.
      Thank you very much for your suggestions alpinab10biturbo.
      Even my modest experience tells me that passive components, even if they cost as much as a Cartier jewel, do not always lead to the desired results.
      Electrically a component with a 5% tolerance will perform better than a component with a 20% tolerance. Always.
      Where the audio signal passes, the Elna Silmic II are a guarantee of excellent results.
      Later in time I will try again to put my hand on the Telecommander G.
      Due to COVID-19 I lost my job so the financial resources for the "toys" are scarce.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone and I hope we will hear from you soon.
      vielen Dank für alles!

Graetz Melodia 519
      Philips 1002

• Benutzer online 1

1 Besucher