SABA 9260 issues

SABA 9260 issues

Hello again,

being very happy with the 9141TC that I've managed to revive with your help, I've sourced a defective SABA 9260.
      The price was reasonable so I took the risk ....

The unit came assembled (with a lot of screws missing) and one "Triber" in a plastic bag (a lot of components bent / damaged mechanically).

Upon inspection the unit was quite dirty - looked like bread crumble all over the mainboard and some liquid spillage (Could be coffee).
      Some kind of recap what done in the past - lot's of new capacitors (not Necessarily top quality) With no other obvious risks,

I've powered up the unit:
      - there was only white noise and digital scale showing ~ 70.5 mhz with no tune possible.? ( ? (
      - only Left channel working ("trieber" module not inserted for Right channel)

Upon measurement R641 was found defective and replaced, resulting radio revival and audio on Left channel (same conditions as above).
      Audio wise, the signal is distorted on all sources (phono, AUX, tape, radio) - sound is very harsh / not natural, with distortions on the med / high tones and with poor volume.

With "trieber" module for right channel, I've moved it to Right channel but no audio - R1144 defective; replaced the resistor and audio is working on the right channel but only with good "trieber" module and audio quality still as previously (very poor).

While materials for fixing the bad "trieber" modules were on order, I've focused on the audio quality:
      - the only obvious issue was the voltage on H7, 17.5V instead of 20V. R2227 was having 1.9ko instead of 1.5ko so I've replaced it and voltage increased to 20v (audio quality still poor);
      - I've improvised audio input from externa source (other tuner) by putting the signal (bypass) on C1111 - good audio but poor volume
      - moved the source upstream in the circuit, bypassing "mono-mute" module - good but poor audio volume
      - bypass on "bandpass" module - good but poor audio volume
      - bypass on "linear-V" (2nd) on C751 - good signal and audio volume increased
      - switched the "linear-V" to slot 1 - good signal and audio volume very good. volume / tone correction knobs usable
      - bypass "NF" module by moving the source on R2228 and the audio is bad again

Currently I'm stuck in finding the problem on the "NF" module and / or on the mainboard; I've switched the TDA's (1079) between them with no imporvement.

Secondly, I've Replaced the transistor to P1103 from the 2nd "trieber" module, inspected the resistors, capacitors and the module triggers the protection relay When inserted. ? ( ? (

​Any thoughts on what to do next?
      Concerning the Treiber-Modul (Treiber - means driver in English).
      Check the Speaker output on that output stage which is driven by the defective Treibermodul. Green Wire. Must be zero volts DC. If there is any DC voltage, pull out the driver, measure again. When DC goes to zero, failure lies in the Treiber. First check Transistor T 1108! Most simple possibility is a broken wire of T 1108. All transitor wires which are zik-zak-bended are subject to break issues. Ihh okay, measure the voltages at the transistors (T 1108, then T 1142 etc) when set is on and compare to circuit diagram.

The Saba has a protection that turns off speaker relay as long as there is any DC on the speaker outputs, so there is no danger for your speakers.

Best regards
      Stefan
    • Benutzer online 1

1 Besucher