Stereo decoder for SABA Freudestad 11-Stereo?

Hello to everyone,

I need an advice. I have SABA Freudestad 11-Stereo radio that sounds beautiful (all Siemens tubes) but it's not stereo, althought has "stereo" in the name. I consider to buy and instal to it a stereo tube decoder from another tube radio (Grundig?). Do you think will it be work? Is it possible? I wonder if someone has done it before and can share about own experience, especially how to estimate a proper stereo-decoder to Freudestad 11-Stereo.

Best regars,
      renes
      Hi Renes,

usually the Freudenstadt 11 has only stereo at the TA-Exit.
      It's not prepared for UKW Stereo. Only the Saba's from 1964 (and the further generations) are prepared für UKW-Stereo (for example Freudenstadt 14, Freiburg 14, Freudenstadt 15, Freiburg 15 and some more).

But you can built in a Stereo Decoder (for example a Saba E16-Stereo Decoder).
      Sometimes the are some at eBay.
      I know that it is possible to built in one, but I don't know how. ;)

Best regards,
      Christopher
      Skype Adresse: ChrisN1993
      Hello renes

It is my belief that the "export" (to North America) version of the Freudenstadt 11 is the SABA model 200 (1961-62).
      This model, as well as the export versions of the Meersburg 11 and Freiburg 11, was equipped with a stereo decoder specially designed for SABA by the "Fisher" Corporation (USA)
      Three tubes (1 x ECF80 2 x ECC83)
      (This is from my poor memory..Please correct me if I am wrong....)

A recent auction from the U.S.A. shows one example with tube decoder:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SABA-200-STEREO-TUBE-RADIO-HI-FI-AM-FM-MARINE-SHORT-WAVE-GERMAN-/260898735407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbec6c52f

I have a Freiburg 11 (German domestic version) that I have converted the UKW tuning to full spectrum tuning (-108mhz) and modified the automatic tuning brake circuit, motor capacitors for 60 hz operation, etc.

I hope to find an original FISHER decoder for my Freiburg 11, but the chances are slim at best.
      However- if non-originality is OK for you, there is an easy, low-cost alternative from Germany.

From the company "KEMO" is offered Nr. B 127, the Bausaetze + Module
      stereo decoder kit in solid-state form.
      The cost was < 10 USD at the time I purchased some a few years ago, but I had to place a minimum order with the U.S.A. seller MCM Electronics in order for them to place a wholesale order with KEMO.
      Here is just one German seller:
      http://www.shop-electronic.com/product_info.php/info/p153_B127-KEMO-Bausatz---Stereo-Decoder.html

...and a description from KEMO in English....

http://www.kemo-electronic.de/product_info_pdf.php?products_id=306

Enjoy your fine radio!
      Hi Achim!

I *think* the early export UKW stereo SABA models used a version of the Fisher MPX-75. (per RMorg, Karl Schmitz)

Having worked on only a rare few of these tube-type MPX receivers so many years ago, so I have little first-hand expertise for them.

The Grundig single tube reflex decoders are indeed ingenious.
      Still trying here to fully understand the circuitry for them.

I have had too much joy becoming somewhat familiar with repairing only two the infamous SABA E-14 transistorized decoders.
      The AF11* transistors pose a lot of trouble in their old age!

Kind Regards-
    • Benutzer online 1

1 Besucher