Freiburg3DS Restoration/ A work-in-progress

Hello all Saba fans!

So, I have almost completed my restoration of my 3DS chassis.
      Although it did not require the extent of work as that recently accomplished by Joerg and Achim, (RoehrenRadios Mono) this was a "rough" example requiring some extensive cleaning, (pressure spraying) rust removal, repainting and total replacement of all Elkos and paper capacitors.
      Unfortunately, this example had some replacement capacitors installed before I acquired it, so I could only "restuff" a portion of the original "Saba" labeled capacitors.

One disappointing fact I was a bit surprised to see is the absence of any Endlagenschalter circuitry. (Or am I missing something to know of this?)
      I see that Saba did include this important action in the next following year models of '55/'56.

So, with this most early Automatic model, it seems the Suchlauf (search) mode will continue to run when the Skalenzeiger (scale pointer) reaches the end of its normal mechanical travel, if not manually turned off by the user.
      However, the great impressive feature of this model is the quality of volume and tone from the Ultra-Linear audio design.

To those that may have any interest, here are a few links to photos of the chassis as it now appears.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~densradios/SabaFrieburg3DS_chassisPlay.JPG

http://home.roadrunner.com/~densradios/SabaFreiburg3DS_uber.JPG

http://home.roadrunner.com/~densradios/SabaFreiburg3DS_unter.JPG

http://home.roadrunner.com/~densradios/SabaFreiburg3DS_uber2.JPG

So far, this is all I have completed.
      Yet to be done are the trouble-shooting of a non-responsive volume control motor and a complete instrument alignment of all RF/IF circuits.
      Then the fun of the cabinet refinishing arrives!

Greetings from
      Dennis D
      Congrats Dennis, this looks so shiny and pristine - I know how many hours it takes to make a more than 50 years old chassis to look like this again!
      As for the "Endlagenschalter" issue - if they didn´t provide them maybe there´s another mechanism assuring the automatic to stop at the End of the scale. I don´t have the circuit diagram here right now but maybe the increased current the motor consumes when it cannot move on induces the magnet that holds the switch to drop it and disconnect the switch for the motor - until you touch the switch again in either direction...
      Achim
      Hallo Achim.
      Thank you for the compliment and your thoughts of the Endlagenschalter concept.

I sincerely wish my observations of both the chassis and schematic proves that I am missing some knowledge of an early variant of this end-of-travel circuit in question.
      I had considered a motor current interrupt or reduction/ biasing of the self-latching Stuerwippe holding coil, but both physically stalling the motor and viewing the schematic did not yield to me any other ideas.
      The only adjustments I see are to bias the Stuergitter of the EABC80 triode (Roe nr. 9) for sensitivity of the "Suchlauf" function for AM and FM via P5 and P6.....IF I am interpreting the schematic and alignment instructions properly......
      I could e-mail you a two-part copy of a downloaded schematic of the 3DS if you are interested. It would be of the file type .cfm.

Another puzzling observation here....Both my Freiburg WIII and this model 3DS receive the complete UKW band through 108 mhz. Both radios are equipped with the normal "domestic" (for use in Europe) glass dial scales with UKW only to 100 mhz- as I would expect for radios of this vintage..
      There are no signs of nachbau (after factory) modifications or adjustments having been made to the Vorstufe tuning rods in either of these radios.

I do realize that the firm Saba did export at least the model WIII to North America, as Radiomuseum member (American) Dale Steel shows a "thumbnail" photo of an export WIII on his member page only, which clearly shows the export variant dial scale. I have never seen any other examples of this export model WIII .
      I could attribute this oddity of having a radio equipped with the domestic European scale and a tuning range to 108 Mhz if possibly the original "export" scale had been damaged and subsequently replaced with an available "domestic" scale, but the chance of owning _two_ early Saba models with both having the modern UKW tuning range and both showing the domestic (Euro) dial scales- and both Rueckwand having graphics in German?
      Yet one more observation....
      The series phasing and parallel resonance capacitors for the Steuermotor (tuning motor) in the 3DS appear to be original, but have values commensurate with having been designed for use with 60 hz Wechselstrom. (.2 und .35 mfd, versus .3 und .5 mfd as shown on the schematics from RMorg for operation on the expected 50 hz.)....Also the series phasing capacitor for the volume (Lautstarke) motor is .14 mfd instead of the .2 mfd as shown on the schematics, which also indicates a design for use with 60 hz instead of 50 hz...)

Is it this possible to see these variants not only on my own two radios---but also the same observations of a radio friend here in another state with the same two Saba models?
      I have so many questions to seek the answers for.
      Old guy here- Still learning!

(Also...It was my simple error to forget to solder one connection for the volume control motor. Now all works as it should. Silly old me!)

Mfg
      Dennis D
      Hello Heiner, Peter and others,
      Yes Heiner, that photo shows the same dialscale of the model WIII from the collection photos of Dale Steel that I mentioned above. Thank you for downloading and posting it here for all to view. At one time, I was unable to open that collection photo, though I am a valid member of RMorg. Possibly it was just a temporary problem for me then?

What are the chances of knowing that four- (2X WIII and 2X 3DS) radios residing in North America showing the "domestic" European scales, but equipped otherwise for the "export to North America" modifications?
      Might all four radios I mentioned have had "domestic" scales to replace "export" scales sometime in their existence, or may there have been a possibility that Saba produced some of the units destined for "export" and let them leave the factory production with "domestic" scales attached?

For now, I will be content to keep the more attractive "domestic" scales with my radios, in spite of not having a calibrated UKW band. I consider myself fortunate to be able to possess these fine radios.--Either way! :D

I will just consider the expanded UKW band as a positive variant.

Peter: Finding here in the U.S.A. a spare "export" skalenscheibe for either model Saba would, I think, be a great challenge!

Regards,
      Dennis D
      Hi Dennis,
      when it came to importing "small" quantities of Tube Radios to the US in the past there were - as far as i can imagine - three ways to do so:

1. The manufacturer (in Europe in this case) produced a separate lot of custom made radios matching the exact needs of the target market.

2. A company in the US imported "European" models and made the modifications in the US.

3. European models were imported and sold in the US by private persons or retailers unchanged - the modifications could be made by a local radio technician or not at all.

For the cases 2 and 3 SABA provided "tansition kits" containing a different Variometer axis and plus additional parts.

The radios you found in your country are probably not case 1! Saba would have done a complete job and fit in an appropriate dialglass.

In cases 2 and 3 it´s a different matter. Some Distributor in the US may have ordered transition kits from Saba without the dialglass - or maybe they were available only without it - just to save on shipping costs or because they wanted to avoid the additional work caused by replacing the glass and align the whole FM Box to "synchronize" scale and variometer.

I´m sure that it´s not because all the US dialglasses broke and were replaced by european glasses...
      Achim
      nightbear postete

In cases 2 and 3 it´s a different matter. Some Distributor in the US may have ordered transition kits from Saba without the dialglass - or maybe they were available only without it - just to save on shipping costs or because they wanted to avoid the additional work caused by replacing the glass and align the whole FM Box to "synchronize" scale and variometer.

I´m sure that it´s not because all the US dialglasses broke and were replaced by european glasses...
      Hello Achim.

Sorry here for the delayed response. I had not checked with this thread in a few days.

I agree with your (quoted above) statement of probability.

There were relatively fewer radios of the earlier 1950s exported to the U.S.A as compared with the development and strengthening of Wirtschaftswunder from the mid-fifties and beyond.
      It appears, though merely anecdotal,, that the probability of four known same, or near, models of radios, all with having ersatz Skalen auf Europa would be very low.

I have the lists of the "conversion" parts from Saba. (UKW tuning rods, motor capacitors, TB geraet mechanical pulleys, etc.)

Seeing for myself large variations or levels of adaptation for the purpose of export.
      Some radios are fully printed with English, including the Rueckwand, Skalen, Knopfen, etc.
      Some models had Netztrafos with only a fixed single primary winding intended for North Amer. Netzspannung of 117,
      Two radios here, both are of the export model 1070 from Koerting. ("Dynamic") Otherwise exact, except for one being equipped with the Netz anschluss, ("safety interlock") the other is factory-wired for the Netzkabel connected directly to the chassis, as would commonly be found in Europe.
      I suppose the "safety interlock" variant was produced simply to satisfy the N. American (UL or CSA) requirements, but not required by VDE at that time.
      Some variants even had tube type differences! ( i.e. Grundig 5490)

Sometimes, no changes were made to the radios if they were imported by small companies and sold in N. Amer. on a local basis. They were simply adjusted to the proper Netzspannung.
      My Syntektor54 is a classic example of that.

Another path for the Wirtschaftswunder radios were via distribution and service agreements made by various manufacturers and North American companies.
      (examples: Saba = Lone Pine, TFK = American Elite, Koerting = Delmonico International, Nordmende = Sterling, Grundig = Majestic.)

There also are the many radios that were individually purchased during the "Cold War" years by members of the NATO forces of other countries who were stationed in W. Germany and other European nations, who later carried the radios when returning to their home countries.
      You can (could, at least, some years ago....) find many of these radios remaining near military bases in N. America, where the ex-military tend to congregate .
      Some were "PX," "BX" or "ESS" variants produced specifically for sale at the military store locations in Europe. Others were purchased directly from local radio sellers- (such as my parents Loewe Opta Konzertschrank.)
      While the school boy son of a U.S. Army officer living in Augsburg, I saved up enough money earned from working small jobs to purchase a brand new Villingen12.
      This radio was, and will always be my top "Spitzen" Saba.

So, the story of the these radios and their travels across the Atlantic can be quite varied, to be sure.

Regards from Malone.
      Dennis D.
      Greetings Sabafans.
      When browsing some additional literature from SABA during the year 1964, I came across
      a notation that supports the theory of post - factory (nachbau?) partial modifications of some SABA radio models to North American standards for the UKW band without including the dialscales replacement.
      This info can be found at Radiomuseum.org Teil4:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/umbau_von_saba_geraeten_des_jahres_1964_auf_usa_ausfuehrung.html?thread_id=77074

Of course, this bit of evidence is not to be construed as all-inclusive of all model years, but possibly adds to the discussion.

Mfg,
      D.D.
      Hi Dennis, I don't know whether your german language is good enough to read this postings. I'm working with this problem at the moment.
      Here are the Threads:
      http://saba.magnetofon.de/showtopic.php?threadid=3665

http://saba.magnetofon.de/showtopic.php?threadid=3653

http://saba.magnetofon.de/showtopic.php?threadid=3618

Gruß Christoph
      Made in Western Germany!
      Hallo Christolph
      This seems so much coincidence you call my attention to those threads!
      At this time, I have recently converted a Freiburg 11 from 100mhz to 108 mhz.
      I accomplished this by using the tuning rod from a scrap Freudenstadt 2000-11 (export truehe console/floor model.) (This exchange of parts by number is allowed per the SABA conversion notes.)

Also changed was the osz. plate resistor as a precaution, per the Saba notes, although the received signals were strong across the entire FM (UKW) band when the tuner was first with power.
      Of course, a complete realignment (abgleich) of the UKW tuner was required.
      (Notice the lack of roet fastening lacquer on the tuning bar shown in the photo below.)

I've read- as well as I can- the interesting threads regarding the conversion to 108 mhz.
      I do not know with certainty the base material used, (steel, based on one photo showing rust?) but I have the opinion that the plated surfaces of the tuning core slugs are based on silver.

The distance between the slugs is only critical during the alignment procedure, since they were designed to be adjusted after the factory, if necessary. The slug profile (diameter and taper) are the major determining factors for tuning range.
      After noting the approximate positions on the rod of the two slugs necessary to be adjusted, I removed the donor rod and cleansed it with aerosol (spray) solvent. This allowed me to unscrew the two cores (or slugs) from their mating threads and wipe clean the red lacquer before it again hardened in place.
      After a final cleaning with acetone, I replaced the slugs onto the shaft in the close proximity to the factory adjustments as I found them.
      Then the rod was prepared and installed into the tuner of the Freiburg11.

Thinking a bit, I went to my Freiburg 410 US and (lucky me!) I found the export UKW scale to be the same in length as the European scale (100mhz) in the FB11.
      I made a paper tape scale rule from the measurements of the Freiburg 410 US dial scale to use with the FB11 for proper alignment points. (See photo below.) Using 90 mhz and 105 mhz as the two alignment frequencies, per SABA notes.
      This modified tuner aligned very well!
      Finally, I plan at some time in the future to replace the numbering of the UKW scale with appropriate numerals (using my paper rule as a guide,)- to reflect this modification of the band.

Greetings from Malone!
      D.Daly

• Benutzer online 1

1 Besucher